Sunday, August 23, 2009

At In-N-Out Burger, quality is everything.



Quality is everything

Recently i had the opportunity to experience In-N-Out http://www.in-n-out.com/default.asp twice in a span of two days. Since I know they emphasize food quality and pride themselves on following old-fashioned ways and sticking to high standards, i was fairly certain i wouldn't have to worry about HFCS.

The only question i had concerned the "special sauce." And maybe the milk shakes.

So, after I got home i decided to google to see if In-N-Out products contained HFCS. A while ago I researched their hamburger buns and found that they are baked fresh daily and no cause for concern. But I just couldn't find specifics about the "special sauce." So I wrote to them via their "contact us" link.

The reply came within a few hours but only included a phone number; HOWEVER, upon dialing, they answered after one ring and it...... was a real human who answered (no joke). Not a recording or machine with options or third party in Pakistan. AND they quickly listed their menu items containing HFCS: yes, the special sauce; and yes, the milkshakes; and also the lemonaid. But that's it!

So, bottom line: In-N-Out has a smaller ratio of menu items with HFCS than any other chain other than Jason's!

8 comments:

  1. I would be very surprised if their catchup did not have HFCS as well. Good to know about their buns, but I'm on a low carb lifestyle and avoid those too anyway. I order the double double protein style (lettuce wrapped w/no bun) and avoid the special sauce and catchup. I do have it with cheese, tomato, lettuce and mustard though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have developed an allergic reaction to corn syrup, where a few hours late, I get weak and shaky. I find relieve eating an In-n-Out Burger, and I skip the ketchup because it has High Fructose Corn Syrup. I feel better. I now realize what it is. I also find if I eat corn syrup, I feel hungry, weak, and shaky at the same time. I don't need a doctor to tell me this stuff is crap. And after 32 years, my body is getting bad reactions to it that were very subtle until this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they ketchup does indeed have HFCS

    the brand they use - Heinz - has ketchup without HFCS.

    In-n-out needs to dump the HFCS

    See this video: Sugar - the bitter truth

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

    ReplyDelete
  4. yea HFCS is so safe and same it totally banned in baby food

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is incorrect. Their buns contain hfcs... I just called the In-N-Out number and was told that their bun ingredients are "proprietary", but when I said that I had allergies and asked if they had corn, soy, or preservatives in the bun, they said that the buns have high fructose corn syrup in them... And soybeans... And calcium propanoate, etc

    ReplyDelete
  6. Then quality is nothing important to in and out burgers just like most fast food other the Jason's and taco bell as I been avoiding this junk since 1987 as in 1985 I was diagnosed with IBS but it turned out that it was caused by HFCS and now that I avoid it no IBS symptoms at all since

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I suffered with fibromyalgia for more than 20 years. (most years I had no idea what was causing my problem. In 2006, I read all ingredient list before purchasing food and beverages. Simple answer: No HFCS = no fibromyalgia symptoms. No pain, stiffness, fatigue, and confusion. Amazing. Now I watch for HFCS, corn syrup solids, and glucose syrup. My symptoms in severity were always proportionate to amount I had consumed -- symptoms started usually about 2 days after consumption.

      Delete
  7. Sitting in a car going through In-N-Out drive through. Glad I found this and will NOT be sharing a chocolate shake with my wife!

    ReplyDelete